Vegetarian Toad In The Hole
A vegetarian alternative to the classic dish.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 40 mins
What you'll need
- 8 vegetarian sausages
- 300ml Delamere Sterilised semi-skimmed cows' milk
- 2 eggs
- 150g plain flour
- A generous handful of fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled (3/4 cut into wedges and 1/4 finely chopped)
- 300ml gravy, made from granules
How to make it...
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- To make the batter, sift the flour into a bowl. Whisk in the eggs and gradually stir in the milk until the batter is smooth. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper, stir well then set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Heat another tablespoon of oil in the frying pan and fry the onion wedges for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 tbsp oil into a deep baking dish and place in the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until very hot.
- Carefully add the sausages and onion to the pre-heated baking dish and pour on the batter. Immediately return the dish to the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until the batter is golden and crisp. Avoid opening the oven door for the first 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the chopped onion for 5-6 minutes, or until soft. Make up the gravy according to the packet instructions. Pour the gravy into the saucepan with the cooked onions and stir well.
- Serve the toad in the hole with onion gravy and boiled or steamed vegetables.