How to make it...
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C and grease a 8x21 cm loaf tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs into the creamed mixture.
- Fold in the flour and the lemon zest.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until springy when touched.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
While the cake is cooling mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.