The family classic, the perfect accompaniment to roast meats, made with Delamere Dairy's Sterilised Skimmed milk for a lower calorie content.
Servings: 8 Prep Time: 30 mins Cooking Time: 90 mins
What you'll need
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 150ml sterilised skimmed milk
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 4 thyme sprigs, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1kg waxy potatoes
- 140g low-fat crème fraîche
- 75ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 25g Gruyère or vegetarian alternative, grated
How to make it...
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas and brush oil over the bottom and sides of a 25 x 19 x 5cm ovenproof dish.
- Put the milk, garlic, 4 thyme sprigs, bay leaf and shallot into a saucepan. Bring just to the boil, then remove from the heat and add the nutmeg and a little pepper. Set aside to infuse.
- Peel and slice the potatoes very thinly. Pat them dry. Layer half the slices in the dish, overlapping slightly, then season.
- Put the crème fraîche into a bowl, strain the milk into a jug, then gradually pour in the milk, whisking until smooth. Add the stock and thyme leaves. Return this liquid to the jug, then pour half of it over the potatoes in the dish. Layer up the rest of the potatoes, then add remaining liquid, the cheese and a grind of pepper.
- Sit the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 1¼-1½ hrs until golden and tender - test by inserting a sharp knife through the potatoes.
- Stand for 5 mins before serving, sprinkled with thyme sprigs.