Quick Fish Pie
A quick and easy Fish Pie recipe.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins
What you'll need
- 320g fish pie mix
- 180g raw king prawns, remove shells and veins
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 350g frozen peas
- 500ml Delamere sterilised skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut into wedges
How to make it...
- For the mashed potato topping, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with 2 tbsp margarine or butter and 100ml soya. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to poach the fish, pour 400ml milk into a saucepan and add the fish pie mix and king prawns. Carefully heat the milk, being careful not to let it boil over, and gently simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Then add the frozen peas to the pan. Remove the fish and peas, reserving the poaching milk, and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp margarine or butter in another saucepan. Add the flour and a little of the reserved poaching milk and mix into a smooth paste. Gradually stir in the remaining milk, a little at a time to avoid lumps. Simmer, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat.
- Spoon the fish mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish and mix in the egg. Finally top with the mashed potatoes. Run the prongs of a fork over the surface of the mash to give it a rustic look. Place the fish pie under the grill for about 5 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the peas according to the packet instructions. Serve the fish pie with the cooked peas.