Minted Pea & Broad Bean Soup
A light and tasty Minted Pea & Broad Bean Soup, served with croutons.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins
What you'll need
- 300ml Delamere Slimmer skimmed milk
- 300g frozen peas
- 500g fresh broad beans, shelled (approx 200g)
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 thick slice of bread, crusts removed and cut into 1cm pieces
How to make it...
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic, and gently fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the potato and stock to the pan and bring it to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Add the broad beans and peas and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the broad beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bread and fry for 3-4 minutes, tossing regularly, until the croutons are golden and crispy. Remove the croutons from the pan and set aside on a sheet of paper kitchen towel.
- To blend the soup, place a sieve over a large bowl and pour the soup though it. Transfer the vegetables to a blender with a little of the soup liquid and the chopped mint. Blend until the vegetables become a smooth puree.
- Transfer the vegetable puree into a saucepan. Add the milk and heat through but do not let it boil. Pour in the lemon juice, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with croutons sprinkled on top. (Alternatively, you can serve the soup topped with fried crispy bacon, in place of the croutons.)