Hash Brown of Goats' Cheese with Apple Compote
Delicious golden bites served with a sweet compote of apple, drizzled with mustard butter.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 40 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins
What you'll need
- 3 large Maris Piper potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon finely choopped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1 medium egg white
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g Delamere Dairy's medium goats' cheese (cut into four)
- Sunflower oil for deep-frying
- 2 Bramley apples
- 25g Delamere Dairy's goats' butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Sugar to taste (approx 20g)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white wine
- 2 shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cream
- 100g Delamere Dairy's goats' butter, diced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon grain mustard
How to make it...
- Bring the potatoes to the boil and cook until just firm. Drain and cool.
- Peel and grate the potatoes into a bowl. Stir in the chives, parsley, lightly whisked egg white with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pat out a quarter of the potato mixture to a circle and place the goats' cheese in the middle.
- Fold the potato mixture over and pat to a circle. Repeat with the remaining potato and goats' cheese.
- Heat the oil to 160oC and cook the hash browns until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Peel and chop the apples.
- Place the butter in a pan and heat.
- When foaming, add the apples and rosemary sprig. Cook until the apple is soft.
- Pass the apples through a sieve adding a little sugar if necessary.
- Place the vinegar, wine and shallots in a small pan and reduce in volume by ¾.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil for 10 seconds or so.
- Add the butter, piece by piece, whisking continually until sauce consistency.
- Stir in the mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the apple compote in the centre of the plate with the hash brown on top.
- Drizzle the sauce around and garnish with a few salad leaves on top of the hash brown.