A creamy, custard treat.
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 35 mins plus 2 hours cooling
What you'll need
- 400ml Delamere Dairy sterilised whole cows’ milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar (for the egg mixture)
- 4 tsp caster sugar (for caramelising)
- 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways and scrape out seeds from the pod
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml boiling water
How to make it...
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour. The mixture should become light yellow in colour and fall away from the whisk like a ribbon.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk, vanilla pod and seeds in saucepan but do not bring it to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour the milk through a sieve, then slowly pour it into the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Pour the mixture into ramekin dishes and remove the foamy bubbles from the surface with a spoon. Place them on a deep baking dish and pour hot water into the baking dish until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Transfer the baking dish into the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the custard sets. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the custard has cooled to room temperature, refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar evenly on top of each ramekin. To caramelise the sugar, either use a blow torch or place them under a very hot grill for a few minutes.